Our HighTest Accessible Technology Solutions experts are available to ensure your web applications, proprietary software, business processes, and electronic documentation are accessible for all users of technology. We evaluate and ensure compliance with accessibility standards set forth in Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act as amended for electronic and information technology, as well as the World Wide Web Consortium Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 (W3C WCAG 2.0).
Bender Consulting Services’ HighTest group can perform the following services:
Section 508 Services
- Assess software and websites for Section 508 compliance using proven testing methodologies and indicate preferred remediation techniques. Our compliance checks test for higher W3C WCAG 2.0 level AA standards, which will ensure that your company will be compliant with any soon to be adopted changes to Section 508.
- Achieve compliance with universal design standards by suggesting accessibility solutions that seamlessly integrate Section 508 standards, and maximize usability for end-users.
- Collaborate with software/web developers to identify accessibility issues that cannot be diagnosed by automated software accessibility checkers, and recommend best practices for effective resolution.
- Create Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) documents to ensure that your company has the documentation potential customers and government auditors use to assess the accessibility of your products.
- Evaluate training documentation and business processes for accessibility and compliance with Section 508 standards, and suggest alternative techniques for delivering content and services.
Screen Reader Configuration
As Section 508 compliance does not always yield "usable" information technology, Bender Consulting Services can assist your company with optimizing the interoperability between the JAWS for Windows screen-reading software and proprietary application via the JAWS scripting language.
Policy Creation Services
Bender’s HighTest group can help you reduce costs by developing an end-to-end corporate accessibility strategy that encapsulates all accessibility concerns, from selecting off-the-shelf computer products, to developing custom software applications and hardware configurations. We develop governance policies that drive the accessibility of all content, whether created by our customers or integrated through third party vendors. These include accessibility policies for websites and mobile applications, associated documents, third party vendor products, and alternative format requests.
- Provide training to your employees about the importance of accessibility and the positive impact it can have on your company’s bottom line.
- Train your company’s development teams on best practices to follow when selecting, creating, or modifying technical solutions for accessibility.
To learn more about our HighTest Accessible Technology Services, please download our accessibility overview.
The HighTest Process
Bender’s approach to website accessibility testing and project fulfillment includes the following:
- A HighTest project coordinator will work closely with you to create an inventory of systems in scope, identifying the URL/domains to be tested. During this process details related to screens/pages that are accessed from the site, content provided by third party vendors, and links to PDFs or other types of documents are captured and added to the project task list for testing.
- Once an all-inclusive inventory is established, our HighTest accessibility experts carefully evaluate each feature for accessibility using the WCAG 2.0 AA standards.
- All violations of the WCAG 2.0 AA success criteria are recorded and sent to your company in an Accessibility Violation report.
- Once the Accessibility Violation report is provided, a violations review meeting is conducted to ensure that any questions or items of clarification your company’s team may have are addressed.
In addition to web applications, we also assess and remediate PDF and MS Office documents to ensure compliance with documentation accessibility standards.
Representative Accessible Technology Projects
- In 2013, Bender evaluated and recommended Section 508 changes to a Centris Consulting web based project tracking dashboard application, which included dynamic scripting technology and on-the-fly PDF generation.
- Bender Consulting Services evaluated the Section 508 compliance of a web-based career opportunities application for Alcoa, and delivered a compliance document that suggested detailed modifications required to achieve Section 508 compliance. Bender Consulting then confirmed compliance of the site, following the implementation of suggested modifications, and compiled a document stating the scope and results.
- Bender Consulting Services' HighTest Accessible Technology Group completed a project for SAP Accessibility Labs in Palo Alto, California to determine if, and to what extent, the JAWS screen reader was capable of functioning in three representative SAP WebGUI transactions. Bender Consulting provided a packaged set of JAWS scripts to customize the interaction with the client and server software, and a detailed report that explained the approach, findings, and extensive methodology used to identify the technical details related to incompatible HTML elements and style sheets.
- Bender Consulting evaluated a 150-screen application developed by Compaq Network Services for the State of Ohio, for compliance with accessibility standards such as those found in "The Microsoft Windows Guidelines for Accessible Software Design." When the application could not adhere to various standards, Bender Consulting used the scripting and related utilities of a screen reading application, JAWS for Windows, to eliminate obstacles between the applications. As a result, Bender Consulting's customer developed a world-class accessible product for the State of Ohio.
- Bender Consulting Services, Inc. worked with Hackensack University Medical Center in New Jersey to solve a compatibility conflict existing between the Center's medical record transcription software, and the equipment used by an operator with a visual disability. Bender Consulting quickly analyzed and diagnosed the problem and proposed two successful solutions.